Monday, February 25, 2008

peace in the moment

This afternoon I got to experience true peace in every sense of it. Kadin had just woken up from his nap; it was a tough waking up with more crying and clinging than normal. I was walking around with Kadin curled up on my shoulder and pretty quickly, he fell back asleep. So I pulled blankets off our recliner/rocker and curled up with Kadin on my chest. I leaned back and just relaxed into the moment. The only sound in our house was our breathing; both a little wheezy and raspy. Our rhythms were off, but then he paused/hicupped for a second and when he got back into breathing we were in synch. it was the most amazing feeling to watch and hear our chests rise and fall together; to hear his rattly snot-filled intake of breath followed by a soft exhale of total satisfaction matched by my inhale, stopped in the middle by a slight hiccup reminding me to breathe deeper, and my exhale of complete release. It was completely quiet; completely calm; completely peaceful.
Usually on the days when Kadin has trouble sleeping in his bed and I spend nap time holding him; my mind is busy going in a million different directions: "how many loads of laundry can I get done today?" "Do I really need to run that errand today or can it be done later?" "I would like to get pictures of doing Kadin doing such-and-such for a scrapbook pages . . . . oh I'm so far behind on the pictures I already have" Outwardly the scene may look peaceful, but inside I am usually going a million miles in a million directions.
Today however, sitting with my nearly-2 year son, who very rarely sits still without CGI animated characters helping to hold his attention, I just sat in the moment. It felt like everything else was on pause and I honestly didn't have a single thought about something I "should" be doing or "could" be doing. I had thoughts about projects I would like to begin, but it wasn't like a "I really need to get going on that" feeling. It was more of a "that would be a good idea, when I get around to it" I didn't want for anything, I couldn't think of anything I would change, there was nothing more appealing to me than to spend this time in this way with this boy.

1 comment:

Cari said...

Its those tender mercies from our Heavenly Father that makes it worth it.... all the diapers, all the sleepless nights, cleaning vomit off of them and you, the tantrums.... everything. It makes it all worth the hard road we travel on.