Saturday, February 23, 2008

In the moment

Today was one of those roller coaster days; it had it's great "ups" and not-so-great "downs". We started today by going grocery shopping. It has become a 2-person job; Kadin refuses to sit in the cart and he is getting too big and too strong for me to hold him and pull/push the cart around the store. That went surprisingly well; only a few struggles. Kadin fell asleep in the car on the way home and I was anticipating using my "mommy magic", as Jeremy calls it, to get him upstairs and in bed without waking up, thus affording Jeremy and I a couple quiet hours (and maybe a nap of my own). I guess my mommy magic was running on empty today because Kadin woke up and refused to go back to sleep. He was so tired and so cranky that nothing was right for him. He screamed and screamed while both Jeremy and I tried to figure out what to do to appease him and save our sanity. Finally, since it was a beautiful day outside, I suggested we pack up a picnic lunch and go to the park near our house. I figured we all could do with some fresh air and a change of pace. Needless to say, this was a big down on our daily rollercoaster.
Kadin cried most of the way to the park, trying to get out of Jeremy's arms and run back home to get his blanket. Looking back, we probably looked like kidnappers to people driving by; trying to forcibly restrain a crying child who kept yelling "home" at the top of his lungs. We made it to the park and enjoyed the amazing healing properties of a pb&j sandwich. Our rollercoaster shot up as the three of us got to run and play and laugh together. I wish I had brought our camera, but in the midst of the temper tantrum it was the last thing on my mind.
After the park, we came home and watched "Finding Nemo" together. It has become Kadin's new obsession and he adores watching the boats and fishes. While Jeremy and Kadin were watching the movie, I went to go make some snickerdoodles (Jeremy's favorite), but as soon as Kadin heard the mixer going, he wanted to come over and be part of the action. The only problem was that he got upset if he wasn't close enough to the mixer, and then when I moved him closer he got upset that he couldn't see "Memo". And thus we plummeted down to another melt-down.
Right now we are about somewhere 1/2 way between up and down. Kadin has just gotten up from a much needed nap and is in much better spirits, but I am worn out from trying to keep up with him. Only three more hours until 8 p.m. . . . the magic hour!!!!

1 comment:

Andi Sherwood said...

Hey, I know those days! :) At least it was on Saturday when Jeremy was home. It could have been much worse if it was during the week. :) I wish I had some great advice, but I don't. Except for... "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." Really, I think that was brilliant on Doree's part. :)