Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A clean freak is born

Today I got in the mood to clean. I don't know why, but once I started I just kept on going and couldn't stop. And it wasn't just surface cleaning either; I wiped out cupboards, reorganized closets and did serious de-junking. I filled two garbage bags of junk. It amazed me how much stuff accumulates over time. I was going through my drawers and closet and realized how many clothes I have held on to, not because I am really ever going to wear them again, but for sentimental reasons. Like my old high school cheerleading sweatshirt. It's not like I'm going to throw it on and go out for the day, but for some reason I just couldn't get rid of it. But today I bit the bullet and threw it in the DI pile. I also finally got rid of my last pairs of size 2 jeans. I have accepted that I will more than likely never be that size again and if by some miracle I ever do, those clothes will probably be years out of style! The only clothes I am holding onto are my high-school dance dresses. I just can't get rid of those, there are so many memories and I can't just DI something that my mom put so much work into. I am trying to figure out a way to store them so they aren't just hanging in my closet. Any suggestions?
In this whole process I have discovered that I am becoming an organization freak. I get really happy when everything has a place and is in its place. I am enamored with clear plastic tubs that I can organize everything into and see all stacked up in a closet or on a shelf. I have found a new store that I can't wait to visit (it's a little out of the way so I can't just go a whim); The Container Store. It is clear plastic storage heaven! All of this organization excitement is really quite weird for me; especially if you knew me in high school and ever saw my room. Well, "saw" isn't the best word, there wasn't much to see besides the layers of clothes, books and everything else that was possible to throw on the floor. How much time changes things!

4 comments:

Cari said...

Um am I reading my own post? Strange... Well minus the size 2 pants (I always knew you were TINY) and cheerleading sweater. Wanna come and do my house next? I could use some motivation.

Andi Sherwood said...

I'll go with you to the Container Store. :) That would be fun. I've been wanting to organize my closets, I just haven't gotten to it.

In regards to your dresses, I just donated mine to a program called Fairy Godmother. They collect high school dance dresses and give them to girls that can't afford to buy their own. I had held on to them for a long time too but did recently give them up in the name of a good cause. :)

:)

Michaelangelo said...

It must have something to do with springtime... I've been going through my house too. It's so satisfying!

Michaelangelo said...

As I was writing that comment my little Brennan decided to do some cleaning himself-- he just threw away a pile of mail from yesterday... bills, insurance papers etc. Then he comes over to me and says "garbage, more, please!" A little too helpful... now I have to go fish it out!