Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Am I insane? (the sequel)

The deeper we get into this house selling thing, or at least the preparing to sell thing, the more I question the sanity of our choice.
I have been cleaning like mad trying to get the house put together and organized so that our realtor could take pictures today. But yesterday the sheetrocker came and the house EXPLODED!!! Furniture got moved, clothes were everywhere in our bedroom, and the dishes were starting to pile up (ok, so the dishes had nothing to do with the sheetrocker, but if I can pass the blame on that, I will). Kadin was thrilled to pieces though. As soon as the guy and his fiancee/helper showed up, he was running around and talking up a storm with them. My favorite was when they were in two different rooms and he would run back and forth between them saying "Hi!" in the most cheerful voice. Thankfully they were both very patient!
They started around 5 and didn't finish until close to 9:30, which was not such a good thing for either Kadin or me. We both have early bedtimes (Kadin crashes at 8 and then I go down shortly thereafter), so by the time they packed up and left we were struggling. And, they didn't quite finish.
This morning Jeremy and Devin took on the job of painting the outside of the house (not all of it, just where we had some cracks fixed a while ago) and painting inside where the sheetrock had been fixed. They did a fantastic job, but ran into a slight problem. After Jeremy had gone around and painted over the misc. sheetrock fixes on the walls in the halls and stairway, we realized that it was the wrong color paint. Jeremy had taken the paint can that the builder left us to the same paint company that originally mixed it, but somehow they got the mix wrong so we have splotchy walls. So we have to have them try and mix it again and hopefully we get it right this time!
On top of the exploded house, stinky sheetrocking, plastic covering nearly everything upstairs and splotchy paint; Kadin has been so difficult today. Today was one of those days when I think he woke up with the goal to see how many of my buttons he could push. And I think he set a record today. I won't list out all of the struggles we had today (it makes me want to scream just thinking about some of them), but needless to say it got to the point where dropping him off somewhere, anywhere, and running away, was beginning to look like a viable and fairly attractive option. Luckily at the end of the day he gave me a big hug and a kiss and said "Wub 'ou" (love you), so I guess I like him again. Until six o'clock tomorrow morning when the chorus of "Mommy . . . . Mommy . . . .MommyMommyMommy!" begins again!

6 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

I'm sorry. Those kind of days are the worst! You just want to hide under the sheets and read a book to escape. Gold star to you for making it through. :)

:)

Michaelangelo said...

Oh goodness what a day! Makes mine seem like a piece of cake! You know, you can always call your realtor and say "how about next week" to give yourself some more time-- those projects sound huge to complete in just a couple of days!! Good luck!

Something that works for me when my kids are misbehaving: open the door and let them run around outside, no matter the weather. Even 5 minutes and they come back in different children. :)

Chelsea said...

We did end up putting off having the pictures taken/opening our house to showings until Monday, so that gives us a few more days to get things done. And I am down to just finishing two rooms, which is totally doable! Things are looking much more possible today!
Annie, I totally agree with the putting the kids outside theory; I do that with Kadin whenever I can. The only difficulty is that our backyard is tiny and consists of just dirt. So yesterday when I put him out there, the first thing he did was start to pull flowers off the one bush we have out there, the second thing was to fling water from his play table into the house . . . so outside was just a source of more buttons to push! Hopefully today is smooother.

Cari said...

Hope everything goes better today. Good luck with everything. Sounds stressful! Where are you planning on moving to?

Jeff and aimie said...

Hey Chels.. Just think... I am moving into a bigger house. At least you are in a house. I am so jealous. I will be stuck with the apt life until Med school is over!! But i can't complain. Lets hope it pays off in the end!! Keep on smiling!! love ya

Miriam said...

What a crazy day! I hate those days when things are just crazy. I think kids know when we're under stress and react by being stressed and therefore terrible too. I hope you get through it all without too many meltdowns!