Wednesday, April 9, 2008

morning to make me think

So I went visiting teaching today and I was there before my visiting teaching partner so I was just sitting and talking with the woman we visit teach. My partner showed up and I could tell that she was pretty stressed out and upset. We asked her what was going on and she just broke down and started crying. She said that her husband had decided that he didn't want to live by the "restrictions" of the church and had gone out drinking last night. I had no idea what to say. I could not even imagine being in her shoes and facing that kind of situation. What do you do? I could not even imagine looking at a future where Jeremy and I weren't on the same page about something so fundamental as our faith and lifestyle choices.
My mom has a small decorative square on her dresser that says "If you are handed it, you can handle it" and I totally believe it is true. So many times I look at other people and their struggles and just go "Wow; I am soooooo glad that is not me!", and I'm sure other people look at us and say the same thing. Life is tough for everyone, but it is tough in the way that is specific for you and what you need to learn and grow and progress. Jeremy says all the time that he would have been an awesome pioneer because he can handle physical challenges and discomfort and all of that kind of stuff. But his challenge has come in having to be on the outside looking in; watching me struggle physically and knowing that he can't fix it. We have talked a lot about how me being sick has really been a learning and growing experience for the both of us, not just me. I told him once that he needs to hurry up and learn the lesson so I can get better, but I don't think it works that way!
The other thing about this situation that really struck me is that my visiting teaching partner talked about how her husband told her that he was making these choices for himself and that it didn't need to change anything in their marriage or family. He was seeing what he was doing as an individual action and didn't realize or didn't want to realize the impact it would have beyond himself. In our society we want to think that the choices we make only impact us and who cares what I choose to do because it's my choice and doesn't affect anyone else. What a short-sighted point of view. Even if you don't factor in marriage (which pretty well eliminates the whole "me" and "I" concept), the choices we make have such a ripple effect, even if we can't immediately see it.
Anyway, the whole morning just taught me to really appreciate Jeremy and how blessed I am to have such an amazisng husband. Even though we may have our occasional disagreements and may not see eye to eye on everything; we are headed in the same direction and want the same things for our marriage and family. How grateful I am to have a worthy priesthood holder who can bless our family and lead us in righteousness. Thank you, thank you, thank you Jeremy! I love you tons and tons and tons! I NEED YOU!!!

4 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

Beautiful post.

:)

Unknown said...

I'm not that special. You thoughts are so true though. I need you as much as you need me. That I think that is what makes us overlook the differences and move forward together. I think your partners husband has forgot that. He more or less is saying he doesn't need her or the family. (aka nothing will change by my actions.. ) Sad to say but true. He needs to be less selfish. I love you Chels, thanks for working with me, in the same direction together. 3 squeezes.

Michaelangelo said...

Oh that is so sad! I told my husband about it and wow, we agree that that is so selfish! How could someone ever think that changing their behavior that drastically wouldn't affect anyone else? Makes me so grateful for my husband too!!

Miriam said...

Thanks for such an insightful post. It also made me appreciate my husband and his strong faith, values, and testimony. I told him about your post last night and we discussed it. Inactivity has been on our minds a lot lately since some friends have decided they no longer want to go to church, have home teachers, etc. It breaks our hearts and makes us wonder how quickly some people can lose their faith and turn their back on the Lords.

BTW, I love that Jeremy made such a cute comment on here. You guys really are a great couple!