Friday, April 11, 2008

What I miss

I am sitting here at 10:30 at night waiting for my magic Ambien pill to kick in watching old episodes of "The West Wing" and remembering just why I loved this show so much. The writing is so witty and the actors are so quick and perfectly fit their characters. . . it has drama (they are about to blow up a Syrian ammo dump in reponse to an American plane being blown up), comedy (the snarky personal assistant and the ex-girlfriend who was trying to elect the presidents opponent being hired to report to her ex-boyfriend). It made me realize that I miss good TV. In my opinion, "good TV" is that which doesn't play to the lowest common denominator ie. jokes about bodily sounds, racism, or crude sexuality. Shows that have qualified as "good TV" for me are: (in no particular order other than the one in which they pop into my mind)
1. Fraiser
2. Gilmore Girls
3. West Wing
4. Studio 60
5. Pushing Daisies
6. House

The list is short, and I think that is too bad. I miss good tv. I'm not trying to be a laugh snob or an elitist TV watcher, but I would like to find more than a handful of shows that don't focus on crude humor, obvious 5th grade jokes or denigrating humans for the enjoyment of everyone else in the world. Is that really too much to ask? If anyone out there has any suggestions for something I might enjoy, I am more than willing to give something a shot.


Really, why am I whining about this? It's not like I have time to watch TV anyway!

3 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

I hear ya. With any luck, we'll get Pushing Daisies back next season. Maybe even a few others I liked... Bionic Woman and 24. :)

:)

Karalee said...

I am in love with Big Bang Theory. It's a 1/2 hour comedy on Monday nights. (not sure what channel) We TiVo everything and with this show I have to rewind and watch it more than once. It is very very creative and has such good writing. It actually makes me feel not so smart sometimes. :) It took me a show or two to really get into it, but ever since I've been hooked.

From The Heart said...

if you want so good old laugh out loud humor America's funniest home videos is where its at!!! Whenever I feel a little down I flip that on, watch other people trip and fall and crash and I get a good laugh with the added benefit of laughing with someone not at them.... plus I feel better about myself too!! :)