Saturday, March 8, 2008

All I can say is . . .

WOW!!!!

Last night my parents, Jeremy's parents, Jason and Andi (Jeremy's brother and his wife), Jeremy and I had the opportunity to go to "Corteo" the newest Cirque du Soleil show. It was unbelievable! I don't even think I have words to come close to describing how amazing it was, but I will give it a shot.
They have the show in this big blue and yellow tent downtown and I was expecting this huge arena, but when we got in the tent, I was really surprised at how small it was. The stage is in the center and the audience is all around so you can see everything that is going on. They opened with some cast members coming out into the audience and doing a little skit that I couldn't really hear or see, because of people still coming in to sit down, but then it really got going. The story line was about this clown who had died and was looking back on his life and seeing his funeral. They had angels that would come down from the ceiling and across the stage on wires, it was so cool to watch them float or drop down suddenly.
I would love to give you all a play-by-play of the whole show, but that would take forever and you would probably be bored to tears. So I'll try to highlight my favorites. I think my favorite act of all was the chandeliers. They had three big chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and four girls came out and as they held onto these chandeliers, they rose into the air and the girls started to do all these acrobatic tricks from them. They would hang in these amazing poses and twist all around them and one girl even hung from the back of her neck! Not only was it amazing in the physical aspect (I can't even do one pull-up let alone hold my body in those contortions while dangling in the air), but it was just so visually amazing to watch. The way that they moved and the way the music moved with them . . . again, no words!
The other highlight was an act they call "paradise" It's basically these buff guys throwing girls between them. The guys are suspended on these small stands in the air with room to bend down and swing the girls between their legs so they can really chuck them with "oomph". I guess it looks like trapezes, but instead of the trapeze, the girls have these guys. I'm not doing such a great job of explaining, but it was incredible.
Anyway, after all this rambling, all I really wanted to say was that it was an AWESOME experience!

P.S. You should all listen to their music; it is AMAZING too!

3 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

It was great. However, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had stayed awake! It was not boring in the least but I could NOT keep my eyes open! That was one of the most expensive naps I've ever had. :)

It was fun to be with you, Chelsea. :)

:)

Michaelangelo said...

Sounds like it was amazing! How fun!

Cari said...

That sounds teriffic. I am glad you had a great time. Hope all is well!