Saturday, April 5, 2008

Opposition in all things

The title isn't supposed to mean opposition like struggle or challenge, but opposition as is opposite. It has been a day of opposites all the way around.
The day began with joy (well maybe not began that way, because it began at 6:30!!!) because we celebrated Kadin's 2nd birthday today. His birthday isn't until Monday, but since weekdays are crazy, we decided to celebrate today and make a day of it. So this morning we got up and decorated the house with streamers and balloons and kept talking to Kadin about what was going on today. Everytime we would tell him it was his birthday party day he would say "Cake, Yuuuum". As we were making his cake the other day, Jeremy gave him a piece that I had cut off and he was absolutely enthralled with it.
After his and my nap in the morning, both sets of grandparents came over for lunch, cake and presents. Everything was going really well and Kadin was having a absolute blast with the bunch of helium ballons that I had had my parents pick up from the store and bring with them. Everything was "Finding Nemo" themed because that was Kadin's favorite movie for a long time (of course, right after I started planning and getting everything ready for a Finding Nemo party, he starts loving another movie and abandons Nemo . . . fickle child!). He loved all his presents; my parents gave him some really fun Diego toys and Mom and Dad Sherwood gave him this totally adorable farm tractor. Jeremy and I gave him a sand/water table for him to play with outside on our back deck (hopefully independently) and the little time he played with it (in the rain) he was loving it! Unfortunately he got some sand in his eye and rubbed it so we think he scratched his eye. So most of the cake/present pictures are of him mid-cry.
So the party was really great and then everyone took off and Jeremy went to priesthood and after he got back, he left again to go to the Jax game. After I put Kadin down to bed, I got in bed and just turned on the tv to detox from the day and just shut my brain off. I started watching "True Life" on MTV and it was about young adults who are in charge of taking care of their siblings. It was so heartwrenching to watch young people, my age, have to take on raising their teenage siblings in incredibly challenging situations. I watched them do math gymnastics with how much all their bills will cost and which ones absolutely have to be paid and which can be put off just a little bit longer. I watched as a girl younger than me stood in line at the grocery store, mortified because the blank check her friend had given her was rejected and she had to leave without any groceries. I ached for all of them to have to be in that situation and it made me sad because I am so blessed. I don't know, a lot of things that have happened that in other situations would have made me angry or frustrated, now it just makes me sad. Like the Oprah show the other day on the "pregnant man" (I won't go into it now, but I promise to say what I think on another post!) just made me so sad.
So we started off the day joyfully and ended it with some sadness. Opposition in all things. . . .

No comments: