Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Life with kids is . . . .

I'm sure that every mom out there could find a funny, touching, or inspirational way to finish the sentence above, but for the purposes of my blog, I'm just going to say "never boring" Just when you think that the day is winding down and it is smooth sailing from here to bedtime, WATCH OUT! Here comes a curveball or two you never saw coming.

I had just forcibly brought Kadin inside after happily playing outside. He had found the barbeque and was pushing the igniton button. Nothing was happening because both gas knobs were in the "off" spot, but then he started twisting those too, and I knew it was time to step in. I crouched down by him, made him look at me, and said in my sternest mom voice, "Kadin if you touch any part of this (pointing to the barbeque) again, we are going inside. Do you understand me?" Kadin nodded enthusiastically and then told me to go back inside. As soon as I was settled back into the kitchen chair I had been watching him from, he looked at me for 5 seconds with THAT LOOK in his eyes. Slowly, he reached out one tiny little finger and stretched it out towards the grill to see what I would do. I gave him the mom look and reminded him that if he touched it, he would go inside. Slowly, ever so slowly, he inched forward, his little finger coming closer and closer until he finally just barely grazed the grill. He looked at me like "You really can't count THAT as a touch, right?" He thought he had figured out someway around the rules, but he was sorely mistaken. I scooped him up with one arm, shut and locked the door with the other and my moments of peaceful seclusion were over.

Later, we were both crashed out on the couch, Kadin watching Diego and me reading some trashy book just so that I don't have to listen to the Rescue Pack rap for the millionth time. Kadin decided he wanted to get his water that was across the room and slid off the couch to go get it. I looked over at where he was sitting and was horrified to find a mass which shall remain nameless, but if you are a mother of children in diapers you can imagine what it was I found there. Quickly I stopped Kadin as he made to sit down on another blanket and took him upstairs to go right into the bath. When I unwrapped him, I saw the nameless substance was EVERYWHERE!!!! And to make matters worse, it had made his poor sensitive spots red and raw. So not only was he upset about having to change his diaper, it was an uncomfortable diaper, and I had to rub wet cloths over the raw spots. Needless to say there was a lot of screaming and crying. And then when we went to get him dressed again, the only diaper cream I could find was the one that makes him scream to high heaven when we put it on him. Let's just say I can personally vouch that it stings like nobody's business! Even more unhappiness . . . . and it all got settled with some crackers and a Mr. Rogers episode. If only all life's problems could be solved so simply!

P.S. I would be interested to hear how the other moms would finish the sentence from the title: "Life with kids is . . . . . " Should get some fun answers!

1 comment:

Michaelangelo said...

Busy, messy and always entertaining. That's my answer!

Sounds like you had quite a day! Hope today is better!