Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beating the heat

Never again will I consider air conditioning an "extra" or a "luxury". After this week, I am fully convinced that it is a necessity and should be a standard feature in every home and car. It has been unbelievably hot here this week, over 100 a couple days this week. Needless to say, Kadin and I have hunkered down at home and survived fairly comfortably in our cool, climate-controlled home. When we did need to go out to run errands, it was miserable! I felt hot, sticky and just overall yucky! I think the yuckiest thing was constantly having hair sweat, when your head sweats and the roots of your hair get all wet, but the rest of your hair is dry . . . one of my least favorite feelings!

Even with the incredible heat, we did some fun things this week. Jeremy took me out on our somewhat regular Friday night date (some weeks we are really good at getting that time for just the two of us, but some weeks, not so much!). We went out to dinner and then downtown to Comedy Sportz, an improv comedy club. We got put in the front row and as we were waiting for it to start, some of the actors come out and do funny little puns like they are selling things at a baseball game. One woman's thing was holding an ice cube tray with a stuffed bear on top of it and yelling "Ice cold bear, who wants some ice cold bear?" (she said it with a thick accent so it was like she was saying "ice cold beer"). She came around to us and asked Jeremy if he wanted any, he declined and then she looked at me and asked. But as soon as she asked, she said "Oh no, I can't give you any!" I thought it was because I was pregnant, but she quickly followed it up with "I get in huge trouble giving beer to someone so young!" I know that someday I will be grateful for looking young, but right now it's kind of a pain.

Saturday morning we got up and went golfing with my parents and brother. Kadin and I just got to ride in the golf cart with my mom while the boys golfed. Kadin was loving "driving" with Grandma and he would jump out whenever we stopped and run over to the boys and ask "Kadin's turn?" to see if they would let him hit with their clubs. Since it was pretty early in the morning, it wasn't too hot, which was really nice. Thankfully, all that running around wore him out and he took a good nap.

I got to substitute in nursery again this week, and I am glad that this is the last week I have to do it. It was one little boy's first time in nursery so there was a lot of screaming and I had to hold him pretty much the whole time. It gave me a whole new respect for my mom who had to deal with all 4 kids under the age of 5 every day! I don't know how she did it! I'm kind of scared about having just two!

1 comment:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Fun to read your blog. Somehow it seems much harder when I read about you young mothers being a mother, than it was when I did it myself......I had my first five kids in 8 years, and then Kristen...so I was fairly busy little mother. Loved every second of it :) [Well, not all of the pregnancies......but all of the babies!] Now all the 'stuff' you write about makes me feel tired!