Wednesday, August 13, 2008

crazy days

Last Friday we celebrated Jeremy's birthday (actually on the 5th) with family and a HUGE barbecue. I had been stressing a little bit because we had to change location last minute (my parent's yard is still super crazy so thank you thank you thank you Mom Sherwood!), had a couple extra attendees (Grandma, Grandpa Theurer and Uncle Morgan came into town Friday afternoon, totally unexpected!), and I just wanted it to be great! Jeremy requested my dad's ribs (if you haven't experienced the ribs . . . . you haven't lived!), deviled eggs, twice baked potatoes, and then on top of that we had broccoli salad, green salad, fruit salad, corn on the cob, and then cake and ice cream for dessert! We had enough food to feed a million people!

But the party was great, everyone had a great time. Kadin was in seventh heaven playing with his cousins. I think he pretty much worships the ground that they walk on. They played hide and seek (Kadin didn't quite get the concept of staying hidden, he got too much of a kick out of jumping out and being found!).

The next day we spent doing yard work at my parent's house again. Their yard is slowly coming along, slowly getting to where they want it to be. Kadin was again having the time of his life playing in the dirt. He gets to be more and more typical boy every day; destruction, dirt and devious behavior! But I love him!

Today I think we took on our biggest challenge. The 15 minute potty trips weren't working, and actually making him get upset about sitting on the potty. I didn't want to make the potty a negative thing in his mind so I decided to try a different tactic. So after talking with Andi and picking her brain for what worked with Justis (her son who is a year older than Kadin), I decided to just do it 100% and get rid of diapers! So today we got up and got dressed . . . . . in big boy underwear! Or as Kadin calls them "boy wears". We talked about how cool it is that he gets to wear big boy underwear, just like Justis, and this means that he needs to go pee-pee in the potty. Then off we went for a day of what was sure to be excitment! Here's the quick run down:
7 pairs of underwear
5 pairs of shorts
2 shirts
2 towels
1 blanket
3 rags (for cleaning the carpet)
1 diaper (for nap time)
and still no pee-pee in the toilet! The most frustrating is when I actually saw him begin to pee (on the carpet) and quickly rushed him off to the potty where we sat for 10-15 minutes with me coaching him and encouraging him to put the rest of the pee pee in the potty. Kadin's contribution "Pee-pee come out of tummy!" Still, the bowl remained empty and after 15 minutes I was ok with Kadin saying "all done" and getting up. On went another pair of "wears" and off we went, only to discover Kadin peeing all over himself five minutes later! I was hoping that the wet feeling of the soaked underwear would be some sort of motivation to make potty training attractive, but I have been blessed with the child who has no sense of personal hygiene. He could care less if he was wet, poopy, has snot all over his face; none of it phases him in the least!

But it's only the first day. I am gritting my teeth and going for another day in the underwears tomorrow and hopefully we start to make some progress. I'm not asking for much, maybe just a little disgust at running around in your own urine! Is that to much?

No comments: